Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My Abomination

The summer after I graduated high school, I decided I was going to film a zombie movie. I wrote a script (minus 90% of the dialogue--I let the actors improvise), enlisted the help of my friends, and set out to shoot this backyard epic. After spending $300 (I'm still confused as to on what) and three days filming, I had a large part of my first film making endeavor under my belt. I spent the rest of the summer and most of the fall editing the footage into Open Season, my first ever, 10 minute long, shitty, riddled with inside jokes from my group of friends, backyard movie. I put it on YouTube under "Grey Ghost Productions" (another inside joke) in two parts--this was back when YouTube's maximum video length was a lot shorter than it is today. I was hoping to "re-release" it as one full video, but it appears that the original full length file, along with all of the raw footage, was lost during a computer issue I had. Apparently the first half of my movie is so off putting that only one-third of the 1000 people that have watched it went on to watch the second half--their loss because the second half has the best action and gore!

Although I do fully admit this movie is a piece of shit, I'm still proud of it and it was a fun project. I feel like I should have some Lloyd Kaufman-esque statement about independent art here, but I'm drawing a blank. If you know who Lloyd Kaufman is, you'll understand what I'm trying to get at. Anyways, here is Open Season in its two parts and all of its shitty glory.



No comments:

Post a Comment